Thursday, October 25, 2007

Timeline & Problems

I've been watching the Ukraine adoption drama unfold for some time. Once I saw the SDA (Ukraine agency responsible for international adoptions) accepting new dossiers again in Dec '06, we decided to move forward with our adoption journey. We spent a bit of time on the Internet researching agencies and facilitators. We contacted a few and decided the best answer for us was an assisted independent adoption.

Once we decided on an agency and probable facilitator, it was time to get into action. It was now time to find out what all this "dossier" stuff was. From the list, it appeared the home study would take the longest. Unfortunately, my business had me traveling through March into April; so we applied April 10th for the home study. Two years ago, there were numerous agencies in Northern Nevada that did home studies; now only Washoe County performed these in our area. Our packet arrived and we started collecting all the required paperwork. We completed it in early June and was scheduled for the in-home interviews in July. Timing was still not a problem since they said the home study could be completed in about a month (early August). This didn't happen since it seems the background check got lost in the process. The home study wasn't delivered to the USCIS until September 4. A whole month was lost, OUCH!!

Going back in time just a little, we knew that we could submit our application for the I-600A to the USCIS (formerly the INS) before the HS (home study) was completed. The background check for the USCIS could take several weeks so we submitted our application on June 27th. We were hoping that the fingerprints for the background check would be taken while we waited for the HS; no such luck. I was informed by my agency that Ukraine's quota was filling up and we needed to speed the paperwork up and try and get it in by the end of Sept. I went to our local USCIS office to expedite our application. After filing paperwork explaining our situation, they let us get our fingerprints for the background check on the following Wednesday (12th) without an appointment.

On Monday (17th), Virginia contacted the FBI fingerprinting/background section and spoke to a real person. This person confirmed that the fingerprints were received on the 12th and the background check was returned to the USCIS on the 12th (same day). From what I've read, the FBI gives priority to adoption and arrest checks. Tuesday, I was in the USCIS office trying to find out what the holdup was. The front counter agents were always courteous and helpful, though I know they were tired of seeing my face 1-2 times a week. One of the ladies looked up our background checks and printed them out. She explained that our folder would be adjudicated which could take 2-3 days. After two more visits to the local office with no status change, I was notified by mail that there was a problem with the HS. It took over a week for me to receive the letter; more time lost. Time is running out and I'm not getting much cooperation from the USCIS.

The HS was fixed and resubmitted very quickly. Our SW with the county sympathized with us and did what she could to expedite the HS. I visited the local office again and requested to pick up the I-171H when completed in person to help speed the process. I was denied the request as it's not their normal procedure. It was time to kick up the pressure a notch or two. We contacted our Congressman's office and requested help in this matter. They contacted the local USCIS office on Monday morning; I received a call Monday afternoon that my I-171H was completed and I could pick it up on Tuesday morning.
Note: Thank you Amy for the Congressman's information and may God speed your journey to Guatemala for your daughter :).

I already had all the docs back from the agency so I could get them apostilled ASAP. After picking up my I-171H, I drove to Carson City to have the docs apostilled. Well, I couldn't afford a same day expedite on the docs so I opted for a 24 hr. expedite. I sent the docs via DHL which takes 3 days. Well, I had missed a single doc in the original dossier, so off to Carson City again to repeat the process. This time I did a 4 hr expedite. Once again, the workers pitied my poor soul and got it back to me within an hour. Back to Reno and on to DHL again. This doc only took 2 days (1.5 days actual time) to get delivered; that's service.

Note on Nevada apostille expedite fees. If you don't need expediting (7-10 business days), the cost is $20 for each document. A 24hr expedite is $75 for each different notary of which I had 7 plus the apostille fee of $20 for each doc. See how fast this adds up. The 4 hr. expedite is $125, 2 hr. expedite is $500 and a 1 hr. expedite is, hold on, $1000. Now, I've read plenty of posts about whether the additional costs to expedite docs in Ukraine are fees or bribes. Does it really matter when the results are the same. For me to expedite my files, I took precedence over the normal processing of apostilles which I paid dearly for. The lesson here is not to get yourself into a situation where you have to expedite docs. If you do, then expect to pay for the privilege of faster processing. Just a reality check here.

1 comment:

Susan & Truman said...

Just reading through your beginning process and had to comment. I guess I should bow down and praise gov't offices in Kentucky because the USCIS & apostilling were the EASY parts. We walked in to get fingerprints at the USCIS office - done in 15 min. Got the I-171H 8 days after our home study was submitted and all documents apostilled as a walk-in & wait. No expediting fees. (and they were only $5 each, I had one done in IL and it was only $2) I'm just shocked at the cost of yours! OK, on to reading more of your story!