Saturday, October 27, 2007

Post Adoption Depression

This was something that I had gleaned from earlier searches, but now holds more meaning now that we are looking at travelling. The reality of the adoption is much more real now that the dossier is in country, plenty of money spent and just a volume of time expended to get here. I'm not going to rewrite what's already been written, but I will provide a few links that I've found useful.

Don't let this information discourage you. The reality is that each adoption is different because all the individuals involved are different. This information is being presented so that you can be aware of what may happen and know that if it does, you are not alone and there are ways to get through it.

http://international.adoption.com/foreign/psychologist-post-adoption-depression.html

http://www.rainbowkids.com/expertarticledetails.aspx?id=272

http://adoptivefamilies.com/articles.php?aid=470

There are many more sites, but these should give you an idea of what PAD (Post Adoption Depression) is and how to identify it.

I hope this helps.

4 comments:

junglemama said...

I dealt with this after we adopted while we were still in Russia. It was hard to understand since I had six bio kids and had never experienced it, then go on to adopt 2 sweet little girls and then experience it. It is real, and it is hard to understand because it just doesn't make sense. In my case I got extremely overwhelmed while still in Russia and I missed my kids back at home very much. Thankfully, I had the most supportive husband, and agency that helped me get through it. I never experienced it again after two more adoptions. I write about my experience on my freewebs website if you are interested.

Tami said...

I experienced this to a degree after each of our three adoptions. Most severely when we brought our youngest two children home (it was overwhelming to say the least). This time, I'm hoping that some preparatory work as well as coping techniques I learned through the first two processes will help lessen PADs affects.
I found you through Christine's blog! I can't wait to follow your journey!

Ken and Joy said...

I have often wondered about this, if it is a possibility....I do not have any kids so I have only heard about women and depression after babies...thanks for the helpful resources.

I look forward to following your adventure!

Joy Rae

adoptedthree said...

It is very real and I too had it after my first two adoptions. By my third I was prepared for the signs and new how to cope. It is sad that it is not discussed very often. I liken it to a wedding for example..you plan and plan for this big event then it happens and it is wonderful then you go on the honeymoon and then you come home and it is like now what??? Anyway congrads on your decision to adopt!