Saturday, December 13, 2008

Home Sweet Home

13 Dec 2008

We made it. We've been home a little over 24 hours and it already feels like a lifetime. The girls love the house and have made themselves at home already. We did not have family or friends at the airport because we needed a bigger car to get us all home and the girls just needed a bit of rest. The jet lag and travel are brutal but the girls did pretty well by any standards. I'll try and not make this a long post because I'm also suffering from jet lag. We were up at 4 am this morning which was better than the night before but we are hoping the girls sleep in tomorrow until at least 7am.

It was an 11 hour flight from Kiev to JFK. Up early the next day for an early flight of 5.5 hours that left an hour late, 2 hour layover in Salt Lake and then another 2.5 hours to Reno. It's a 10 hour difference from Reno to Kiev so jet lag is a definite bummer...

We had family over today so they wore themselves out playing and having a good time in general. They seem to be a match all the way around, but then I knew that. I can't tell you how I knew that, but I knew it from the SDA appointment on. Ah, but I diverge.

The girls are doing great and we are slowly recovering from the long travels, but not the journey because there is nothing to recover from. Sounds silly, but this journey has changed us; all of us. Our experiences have left an everlasting positive impression of a peoples that are very foreign to us. I was asked by our landlady if their way of life was more difficult than ours. If that's all you know, then it's not any more difficult than ours, but since we know of another way of life, then yes, their lives are more difficult than ours in daily living. I can appreciate this much more now than I could before. Oh, I could keep on this topic for awhile but I'm falling asleep at the keyboard.

I'll start posting the updates that I kept on my computer when I wasn't able to get Internet access. It's going to take several days to do so as I do run on a bit and will need to edit for the blog.

For those about to travel, I salute you.

Chris

10 comments:

Leslie said...

Welcome home!!! Get some rest . . . you're going to need it!

Anonymous said...

yay! your HOME! I just texted v. hope her phones working again..CONGRATS AGAIN! It's got to be exciting, you and your girls are home! fianlly!! WHEW!
love you guys
YOUr sweetas

Amy said...

Congratulations and welcome home!

smctiver said...

Welcome Home! Best wishes to you & enjoy your new family.

adoptedthree said...

Welcome Home have a fabulous holiday season!

junglemama said...

Welcome home! Are you going to post pics? Please????

ALIANSI-MAHASISWA-PAPUA(AMP) said...

oke

Susan & Truman said...

Hope you all are enjoying your new family!! Would love to hear an update!!

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning thinking about you guys! Welcome home to your new family! I realized this morning I never heard the outcome of your trip. Congratualtions to you both! We miss you!

junglemama said...

Hi Chris and Virginia,

I think of you often. Please give us an update or last email me privately. I hope all is going well!